A number of specific programs are in place to support learning. We have also implemented whole-school pastoral care and support programs for the social and emotional development of students.
We offer additional programs, such as:
- support for children with a range of additional needs including a personal plan (PP) and case management conferences
- literacy and numeracy support to assist students to access the curriculum through differentiated learning opportunities
We believe that offering these programs allows a number of Language Backgrounds Other Than English (LBOTE) students, and students not supported by Special Learning Needs (SLN) programs, to succeed in small group teaching and learning.
Kindergarten orientation program:
- Children meet the Kindergarten teachers, participate in a variety of activities, and have time to become familiar with other children
- Children become familiar with the classroom, school and playground in a non-threatening situation in company with their parents or carers
- Parents attend an initial information and briefing session to familiarise them with school policies and routines while allowing opportunities for discussion and questions
- Parents are invited to a follow up meeting in term 1.
Liaison with secondary schools:
- Visits by Year 5 students to secondary schools
- Open days for Year 6 students
- Links with Year 7 coordinator and special education teacher to facilitate special education and high needs students in transition to secondary school.
Students with specific needs entering Kindergarten and other grades:
- An individual plan is developed in collaboration with the parents, class teacher, and special education teacher
- The child is supported in class by the learning support teacher, class teacher and teachers' aide
- Specific resources to meet identified needs are provided
- Procedures and curriculum are modified according to the child's individual plan.
Learn more about student wellbeing and leadership at St Patrick's